Dear Valued Customer,
You can choose UPS or USPS, when you check out by using the "drop down menu" at the bottom of the check out page. That way you can see which one might be cheaper in your area for your order. We'll send it the cheapest way or as specified by you.
Items marked free shipping or shipping included are shipped at our discretion. Most go Priority Mail. Call if you need something else.
Shipping companies also charge a little less if your package is delivered to a business address. If you can receive packages at work, do so and you'll save a little. It's not huge but every little bit helps. Home businesses have to be shipped Home Delivery. No discount allowed. Sorry. We don't make the rules, we just suffer them along with everyone else.
Package services can only track a package for 30 days before they recycle the tracking numbers so, if you have any questions it's best to call us as soon as you can if there's a problem. Our web technology is somewhat primitive so unfortunately we don't as yet have a way for you to dial into the site and track your order. You still have to call if you want to know where your order is before we ship it. UPS and the Post Office generates your tracking e-mail and sends it to you.
All customers from outside the United States will still have to pay shipping. Air Priority is the standard method for these orders. If you need it faster look here for rates (http://postcalc.usps.gov/)
You have to call to get a freight quote on heavy orders over 70 lbs, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, otherwise, we will ship it by the cheapest method. Our shopping cart doesn't always calculate shipping for heavy orders over 70 pounds very well. If the product list says for you to call us, you must do this. Other wise, we will ship it the cheapest way possible and add the charges necessary to cover the cost.
Because of our increased volume, we now get some wicked good truck rates too, so, if you want a lot of stuff, don't hesitate to call for a quote. It could be a lot cheaper than you think.
Truck Freight requires a commercial address for the bst rates. That can be where you work, a friends place of business or any place where there's a way to unload with a forklift, loading dock or they commonly receive large shipments. You can get a truck delivery to a residence but, it costs extra. It still might be worth it if you and your neighbors and friends order a lot of stuff together. We can also have a pallet shipped to a local truck terminal fairly cheaply too, for pickup by you with your own truck or buck board.
Returns + Refunds
- We do not have an unlimited return policy. We accept returns for incorrect merchandise shipped or damaged goods only.
- If you ship something back to us without calling first to arrange it or if you ship something back to us and it gets damaged enroute you will not receive a refund.
- If you refuse a package we send you, you will not receive a refund.
- If you want to exchange an item for some thing else, you will be charged a 10% restocking fee. You will have to pay shipping back to us and the product must arrive back here in resalable form. If it arrives here damaged we can't issue an credit for the product.
- If you claim that a product is damaged or defective and we arrange to have it sent back to us and after we receive it we discover there to be nothing wrong with it, you will not receive a refund and you will be charged for the return shipping plus a 10% restocking fee.
- If you place and order and cancel it before it ships you will be charged a 5% processing fee. If the order has already shipped there's nothing we can do. Cancellation is not possible once we hand off the packages to our carriers.
- We pay credit card processing fees for credits and refunds
- Some orders may already be on the floor and ready to ship and some one spent a certain amount of time putting it together. Our employees have to be paid each week no matter what.
- Cancellations must be made by phone, before we ship an item. We get hundreds of e-mails everyday and due to the terrible spam problem on the internet today, we cannot guarantee that we will get every e-mail people send us or the other way around.
- Confirmation e-mails from us to you don't always hit the mark either. Personal and internet spam filters as well as the general vagaries of e-mail are problematic.
- Cancellations must be made by the person who ordered the product.
- When issued, credit card refunds generally show up in your bank within 7 to 10 working days
I realize, to some people these policies may seem punitive but unfortunately not everyone in this world is honest and some people play games, so we have to have policies in place to protect ourselves as well as all of our very good and honest customers who would like us to stay in business and not go under because of the dishonest or erratic behavior of a few.
Here are some ways to avoid misunderstanding:
If you're unfamiliar with the scent of an item like soap or salve, try a smaller sampler size. If you're unfamiliar with a product and/or it's use, call us up and ask about it and/or download any available information right off of the page you found it on or any page referencing the item on our site(s).
PAYPAL Customers: PayPal has become a very popular way to buy products on line. Most orders sail right through with no problems at all and they are a very secure transaction. However, Some PayPal orders come through to us with, "Unknown: Pending PayPal" printed on them. If it says this then the payment didn't go through. Call us right away if your order confirmation says this because, if it does, that means we didn't receive payment and we can't ship your product and you might sit there day after day wondering where your package is. The problem is usually how the customer has their paypal account set up and needs to be resolved with PayPal for us to be able to fix anything here. Your best first action is to call PayPal and find out what's up with them. Overseas orders also come through this way but most of the time they get resolved by themselves within 24 to 48 hours.
Please print a copy of your order confirmation for your records and save the e-mail! Due to the complexity of some of our products and their shipping options, a sales representative may contact you concerning your order by e-mail or by phone. If your e-mail system uses "spam" filters, please be sure to add us to your "Safe Senders" or "Contacts" list or Address Book. We don't have time to fill out those Earthlink and other type of filters that require some one to click a link and type in a code. You may not get e-mail from us if you use this type of service. Your order confirmations and shipment notices are automated. They come direct from UPS and Endicia(our Postal shipping software company) so we don't always know when one is being sent to you or rejected.
UPS and USPS will send an e-mail with a tracking number on it once the label is printed. You'll find the USPS(Postal Service) tracking to be less efficient than UPS or UPS for some reason. Priority Mail is not an expidited service with any guaranteed date of delivery. It's a special category of first class mail that travels at the same speed as a letter.
- If you specify overnight, second day or expedited service we will ship it that way. If you live in New England or Most parts of New York and New Jersey this service is usally a waste of money since UPS ships one day or two day ground to these areas anyway. This kind of order from late Friday after daily pickup and over the week end will be shipped Monday.
- If you can get pallets delivered to a commercial location with a loading dock or fork lift, your larger orders can be sent by truck at considerable reduced rates compared to UPS. Trucks can go to a residential address too but, they charge extra for residential service. It's still worth it sometimes.
- We now have a service available where we can send pallets, by truck, to the truck terminal and you can go there and pick them up yourself. (Saves you a lot of dough!)
- Free Shipping or Shipping Included does not apply to overseas orders or orders outside the continental U.S.
- Refer to our shipping page for more on these subjects, if you haven't already read it.
- Hawaii and Alaska customers are usually shipped Priority Mail and in Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes when appropriate.
- Snow Storms and Acts of God beyond our control may slow down your shipment. Please make allowances for this when you order.
Give us complete and accurate address information for billing and delivery. If you give us an incomplete or bad address for delivery you will have to pay shipping again to get your product so please be accurate when filling out the address portion of your check out form. We all take for granted that we know where we live but everyone else doesn't know the area like we do, especially shipping companies who transfer or turn over employees all the time. The driver or mail delivery person will look only on the package for your location and no where else.
- Common address mistakes people make:
- leaving out the apartment number
- only filing in the first name
- incomplete street address - omission of all or some of the numbers
- omission of important details like "Ave A or B" for example
- wrong zip code
- too many numbers in the zip code
- too few numbers in the zip code
- Post Office box given for delivery but UPS requested for shipping method
- Shipping and delivery address in wrong fields
- Wrong information in wrong fields - i.e. phone number typed in address line
- The shipping address given has no mail receptacle
- Building locked and no one is home to buzz the driver in - please use an address where delivery can take place easily
- delivery address is a business that is closed for vacation or inventory
- If after reading this and you read over your confirmation order you realize you've made one or more of these errors, call us right away
Organic gardening and many of the products associated with them are unfamiliar to some people so, we're glad to answer your questions and give you advise about how to use them. I load the web site with as much information as I can cram into it to help you make good choices. If you plan to use a product for a purpose it's no recommended for we cannot guarantee your success. It might even work but we can't guarantee that it will. If it does, blog about it!
We can't guarantee that some one will like the scent of a soap or personal care item or the flavor of a food item. Those things are too subjective to guarantee. What we do guarantee is that the items on our sites are as advertised and of the highest quality that we can find and that we will do our best to get them to you on time and in tact, at the best price possible. We use all of them before selling them to you so we know they will work when used as directed for the purpose intended. Follow any and all instructions on the label or those that you receive from us.
When ordering live organisms like nematodes, follow the delivery instructions on the page to the letter. You must be there to receive the package and store it properly. They are alive. If you're not there to receive the package we can't guarantee the viability of the organisms and no refunds will be issued.
Another point of interest to our online charge customers is, our shopping cart purges all credit card numbers every thirty days by default.
In addition to that, the server that hosts our shopping cart is in a different state and owned by a separate company than the one that hosts our web sites, with it's own software so, there is very little chance of anyone being able to hack our site and get to your information. It costs us more to do it this way but, we want you to feel safe and secure when shopping with us online. We also don't sell addresses to anyone, and send out only a little bit of e-mail advertising, when we think there's something of interest that our customers might want to know about. We try to make it as tasteful and entertaining as possible too, and, we do it ourselves, to give it a personal touch and keep it out of the hands of strangers and mercenaries in the internet marketing world.
We don't sell e-mail addresses or any other parts of your order information.
Call us for a freight quote. If you can't receive a large order at your location, get your friends, neighbors and others together and have a "Special Delivery" at another location and you can all divvy up the goods there. If you have questions, want bulk pricing and/or truck freight or desire some other method of shipping, call 1.802.385.1096, 9:00AM-5:00PM Monday through Friday EST, or send an e-mail with your request.
Overseas customers can use the shopping cart or call us as well. All overseas shipments are sent USPS Priority unless otherwise noted on your order. You can specify the method of shipment you wish to have in the "Comments"" block on the check out form, or use the drop down menu.
If you are requesting container loads, expect up to two months for processing and shipping depending on your country or port. air freight is available too. We can handle all the leaglization and logistics if you need us too.
All currency is in U.S. Dollars.
Why Would I Do All This?
I want all of our customers to get high quality products exactly as they order them, at a fair price and to feel confident that there are no hidden fees or extra charges. It's what I wish for myself, so, it only makes sense that I would want it for you as well right? Something about the golden rule here...
DIRT WORKS and New England Natural.com exist for reasons beyond money. Yes, we have to make money or else we couldn't do any of the things we do but, I operate these companies in and effort to do my part, in making a commitment to a healthy natural environment and making the world a better place in which we all can live, through sales of quality, earth friendly products and services.
This is the root of everything I do. I hope that, through the distribution and promotion of our products and services, we can help each person we touch walk a little more gently upon the earth.
The consumer choices we make each day affect the way all people live all over the globe. Each choice we make can be considered a vote for just what type of life we all have while we are here and what kind of legacy we will leave for those to come.
Thank you for shopping with us. Have fun, and let us know what you think of our sites, products and services, by dropping us an e-mail when/ if you have time and/or filling out the Questionnaire at the end of the order blank. Your input will help us improve.
John F. Meshna
(owner) DIRT WORKS©
SAVE THE EARTH, SAVE OURSELVES